Happy New Year! Time to make up some new excuses for why I did practically nothing last year! Hmmm, let’s try honesty, I was lazy and didn’t put in the effort. Oh, except a shawl I was working on for my mother for Christmas, let me tell you how that went… Just not well at all.
I started it in September, put it down for a month (because I’m into messing myself up) so when I picked it up again I didn’t remember the pattern quite right. I, of course, didn’t notice for some 10 odd rows, which was….so much, like a foot, maybe more, of row progress. I ripped it back. Now this yarn is an alpaca blend, so I’m sure you can guess how much it likes ripping back. And this wasn’t the only frogging rodeo the yarn went on. There were some occasional mistakes that were pulled back, but by the time you get to the place with the mistake (and it’s lace so it’s SUPER obvious), you’re pulling back an entire row. It’s physically painful for even non-crocheters to watch (Like seriously, it was funny the first time I pulled back a row in front of this teenager who’d watched me find a mistake. He was horrified when I told him it would take about an hour to do back up). And I just keep messing up. I don’t know what was wrong with me, but I just kept making really ridiculous counting mistakes that should have been. Ripping back was getting harder and harder and then it happened, the continuous line of my lace weight yarn broke. I tried to carry on, but it wasn’t the last time I was suffer another break. It just became too much and I knew I wouldn’t be able to salvage it for Christmas.
So ultimately I’m trashing the original yarn (more accurately ripping it back to figure out something else to do with it, because it was 40 damn dollars and I am poor) and I picked up a new skein of Freia Ombré Lace Weight, this time in Dirty Hippie. I’ll be trying again for Mother’s Day this time instead of Christmas.
I have some other projects planned for this year, including some home improvement work like sewing curtains, a shower curtain, finishing up the hidden cat box I’ve been working on, and some other things.
I’ve gotten part of the hidden cat box done, I’ll probably make a couple posts with pictures of my progress until it’s finished.
I’m going to try and go back to updating weekly with projects I’m working on, but I’m also going to add in some reviews of products I’ve used. I’m also working on the scripts for a crochet tutorial that I hope to upload to YouTube later this year.