Not so much the action of shaping during crochet that, provided you have good, clear instructions can be quite pleasant because you see what you’re making start to emerge and that’s cool. No, it’s figuring out the shaping of a new project that’s a royal pain in the patootie. It all started with this unbearably awesome chain chomp cat bed on Pinterest. I don’t have the building chops to make anything half so amazing, but it did make me want to crochet a chain chomp.
So I start looking into patterns. Nothing feels quite right, some looked good to me but they all seemed to have their mouths closed and I really wanted one with the mouth open. So I decided to tool around and try to figure out a pattern for myself (not a bad idea per se, but time consuming and potentially very frustrating). I will fully admit that I looked up crochet Pacman patterns to get an idea of how to start the shaping, because I was originally at a complete loss. I have two approaches I’m going to be trying and I started with the first last night.
The first effort was….well it went so poorly that I ripped it back out immediately and didn’t even bother with a pic of it. My second effort was slightly better in that it was moving in the rightish direction. Still came out looking like the chain chomp had an under-bite that would make King Charles II of Spain jealous. Unfortunately I had fastened him off and hidden his ends so much that digging it all out again seemed like way too much effort. So I moved on and now it’s a cat toy.
In this case the third time wasn’t a charm exactly, but it did look a whole hell of a lot better. Still looks really awkward, partially because it’s not stuffed and hollow, more because it’s not quite a circle, it’s this really wonky shape that I’m not really sure what to do with. Hmmm, well I did the thing where I wove in the ends here too, so I’m still not sure if I’m going to rescue the yarn, depends how I’m feeling tonight.
I also had to rip back the ENTIRE shawl I’d been doing because I realized that when I “fixed” a problem with the design I was setting myself up to make blocking it out to be an actual triangle difficult if not impossible. So I’m back to triangle one on that project, but it does work up nicely.
Well, those are most of the projects I’ve been working on. When new and interesting things come up I’ll post more.
Ok, on the subject of radio silence I have a really good explanation: I spent the better part of March moving (which was a mess) into an apartment with a host of problems all its own. Add to this that my phone was stolen recently so I’m actually completely out of a computer and a camera at home for the moment, though at this point I’m going to have to suck it up and do something about it. If you’d like a more complete version of events check out my other blog, especially Reel Big Fish Everything Sucks and Home row key smashing.
During this time though I haven’t been totally slacker. I’ve finished two more skeins of squares for my tetris blanket, they’re really starting to add up. I still need to make the blue and cyan squares but I’ll have to dig through my yarn to find it, most of it’s pretty jumbled from the move.
I’ve also completed the body of the shawl I was working on, I just need to select a yarn for the border and figure out where the pattern went. >.> Also I need to block it because it’s curling something fierce, but I can’t decide if I should finish it first or block it now before adding the border.
The MLP:FiM pattern is actually in the final stages of completion, I just have to work out the back legs and it will be done! I’ve already gotten to work on my sister’s long promised Fluttershy. The line from hock to knee is the tricky bit I’m still working on.
I’ve also started work on the Prepster Jacket from The Happy Hooker, I’ve got one sleeve and I’m working on the other right now.
In other news, because of some design differences in my current place, my cat box doesn’t fit beside my toilet anymore. I bought a trunk a good while ago to make a hidden cat box from, but haven’t gotten around to it. The fact that my cat’s litter box is hanging out right in front of my door (one of the few non-carpeted places in my apartment) should be pretty good impetus to actually convert the trunk that’s been sitting empty for a good long while. I’m also thinking about finally getting around to making a craft closet for myself. I don’t just want a place to store things, I wanted to build a crafting space into the closet itself and intended to have a shelf at working height inside and a small table I could swing out in an L-shape for extra space. I have design ideas, but not a lot of experience in the area so I think I’ll invest in a fairly inexpensive used armoire for my first try.
When I actually have some way to record what I’m planning on doing and can get around to it (I have a other problems I need to take care of first), I’ll definitely update things with pictures.