So this week hasn’t been as productive as I would like it to have been (when is this not the case?), or rather not obviously productive. I did learn how to broomstick lace crochet (really cool, but tricky at first) and I really have this video to thank. I needed to learn so I could crochet my sister an infinity scarf. I’m using this pattern, but I’ll actually twist it to make it a true Mobius. The yarn I’m using is absolutely gorgeous. I was originally going to use a spare PVC pipe I had laying around, but I thought the loops looked too big and awkward so I’ve down-sized to a more moderate wooden dowel. I just need to sand it a bit to make sure it doesn’t snag on the yarn (I had a picture of the dowel, but wordpress has decided it doesn’t like it. I’ll take another pic when the scarf is in progress).
Luckily I’m not the one who bought it, because it’s predictably a pretty penny. My sister bought it on the condition that I’d make the scarf for her. I’m really looking forward to working with this yarn, it’s so lovely. I’ve also made some headway on my new tetris squares, look at them all!
I’ve also got blue, but I need to hunt up some cyan and magenta. I originally thought I could use my lavender Red Heart, but I don’t think the color’s bright enough. Oh and if case you were wondering about that pile of unraveled squares. Yeah, I straightened them all out and reattached the yarn pieces together so I could wind them all back into balls. It was time consuming.
Since I’ll be visiting my family over Labor Day I don’t know how much I’m going to get done, but I figure I’ll bring tetris square stuff and also my Art Assignment work. Hopefully I’ll have something more substantial by the end of the weekend.
I’m sure it comes to no one’s surprise that I haven’t been as productive this year as I would have liked. Sure, I recently moved, but that’s not really a great excuse anymore. I haven’t been a total slacker though; I’ve been churning out granny square blocks for my Tetris blanket when I want something to do with my hands while waiting.
Tacheton (my cat) clearly thinks you’d rather have a picture of him and who am I to argue with that face. XD I’ve got the acid green and blinding yellow down with some black empty space squares, but I really should get the other colors as well. I figure I’ll just make ridiculous quantities of squares and then just set them up how I see fit when it comes time to actually assemble the blanket. I’ve also been working on my MLP:FiM design, though I’m a little stuck on the head. Show accuracy is really important to me so I’m waffling over which design I like better and would really appreciate an outsider opinion. So here are my head designs. For reference the pony in the upper left corner was my main model. The poll will be open for one week, please make your opinion known below! I welcome comments and criticism.
I’m also working on the body shaping right now. I think instead of making the neck a second piece that I have to sew on, I’m going to try surface crocheting it on. I’ve only had one other experience with surface crochet, I’m sure you remember, so I’ll have to be really exacting on this. As soon as I’ve got the pattern worked out, I’ll post a copy here and hopefully will be able to work on out as a pdf. *does the I don’t know what I’m doing dance*
Finishing up the basic pattern is my goal for this week, we’ll see.
Hey, so I have recently managed to conquer a particular personal demon: the baby blanket. Sure, other crocheters churn these out like nothing and like doing it. Me? I have a notoriously short attention span and when something bores or frustrates me too much I tend to toss it away like a two year-old that needs a nap. This blanket is for a dear friend of mine’s first baby, so I was greatly invested in completing it. Which is good because I’ve had other failed baby blanket making attempts for people less close to me.
Pros: it was super simple in design, just a square that kept getting larger in a cute and attractive, but easy pattern. I successfully watched subtitled anime while crocheting this and didn’t fuck it up beyond recognition. I just had to keep an eye out for the occasionally split stitch.
Cons: If there wasn’t something else keeping my attention I was bored out of my skull. It also started to get shockingly heavy and unwieldy at the end.
I’m really pleased with how it turned out and the picot edging looks really nice to me. I’m inexplicably happy that I got to end on yellow. Of the three colors I used, I just think the yellow makes the best edging. Also, I’m basically having to relearn crochet right now because I got acrylic nails and they are messing with me something fierce.
I also have some Pittsburgh Penguins I’m finishing up for my sister (they were supposed to be for Christmas, but I’m chronically late with that stuff). Those I intend to finish by this weekend as well.
Oh, I’m also going to be teaching a crochet class. If you’d like to hear more abut it visit my other blog here.